10/13/10

Birdie Ornaments




Okay, Ladies - it's October and I didn't really get into Halloween junk this year, although my kids probably wish I had, but I decided to jump right into Christmas stuff.  I think I'm done with my Peppermint Tree {gasp} and don't be sad, but it had to happen eventually.  You knew that, right?!  Besides, the candies were all popping out of my garland and I'm bored of peppermint - I'm ready for multi-color!!!  {Plus, I need ornaments that a baby can pull off, suck on, and NOT destroy before I have time to rip it from her solid, slobbery grasp.}

So here are my newest friends!  Little Birdies!!!  Although I don't think I'm going to do my tree in "birds", these were fun to make and play with.   AND...you can tie these onto presents, hang them on gift bags, and give them away with your baked goodies!  How cute and fun, right?! 
  
Here's how to make yourself some bird friends:
 You need:
DMC Floss (it has strands you can pull apart)
Small embroidery hoop 
Scissors
Felt
Pinking shears
Embroidery needle
Washable marking pen or something you can mark with
A template from your imagination traced onto cardstock
(it's not hard to trace a little bird shape, then draw a wing in the middle & cut it out)


Step 1:  Trace wing shapes, then stitch using my stitch guide , this amazing guide here, or do your own thing.  Be creative!  If I get some time, for those of you interested, I'll post another stitch guide and include some of the newer things I've learned like the flowers, leaves, and other border stitches.

Don't worry about your embroidery hoop going over the top of the other stitched wings - I didn't have any problems, just don't get it too tight and try to be careful.

Set your wings aside and cut out your main body using your pinking shears for that pointy edge look.  Trace your bird shape onto ONE piece of felt.  Pin that one piece to your backing, and it can be the same color if you want - I used two different colors.  Cut out your bird shape around the edges of your tracing pen.

Everything is all lined up perfectly!  Cut out your wings, leaving just enough space for you to stitch them down onto the top piece of your bird.

(see photos below) After your wing is stitched onto your top piece, cut out a beak and a ribbon hanger.  Don't forget to give your bird an eye ball, too!  Put in a French knot where you'd like it to go and remember: the more times you wrap your floss around your needle, the bigger your eye is going to be.

  Glue beak and ribbon onto the back side of  your bird.

Now stitch the bird closed.  Start wherever you'd like, I started at the bottom.  With your knot on the INSIDE of the bird, whip stitch in-between your crimps from the scissors.

...so easy - great way to teach kids how to stitch - let them make one of their own!!

 Now stuff that bird.  To get fluffies way up into the tail portion, you might want to start stuffing a little up in there before you get to this point - but it doesn't matter.  Just fatten him up a little or a lot, using your scissors or a skewer to push the stuffing up inside the bird without tearing through your stitching.  {For heaven's sake!}





Now finish off with a square knot - and that's it!  How easy is that?!




...not lovin' this one - it doesn't scream "Christmas" at me - but she's still cute nevertheless. {she IS a she, right, I mean - look at her....}   Maybe if you had a girlie, pastel-type decor scheme - then this lady would be perfect!  Anybody want her?!  Email me and I'll send her to you.  Nevermind - she's going to Tanya!  Enjoy!


32 comments:

TLF said...

These are adorable.. I love them!
I'd totally rock a birdie tree and all it's cuteness!

Misty Makes said...

My first visit to your blog and I'm totally going to make these btw.
I just finished this cute little owl, heres where I got the pattern.
http://juicy-bits.typepad.com/juicy_bits/2009/12/131-give-a-hoot-for-the-holidays.html

Noodles said...

ZOMG! Love love love! Thanks SO much!

Anonymous said...

These are so, so, so sweet. I'm off to the craft store for supplies!

Lynaya said...

So cute, I love them!

Ammieloris said...

These are adorable. What a darling use for felt, eh? And I think these will make marvelous Christmas tree decor, mobiles, or garlands.

chris said...

Oh these are so much fun. They remind me of ornaments my mama made.

What I Did Today said...

I love your blog! I'm still working on the Christmas Advent Calender with lots of lovely embroidery from last year. Your work is amazing. Oh, and I nominated you for The Most Versatile Blogger Award at my blog. You rock!

Purnima@a creative project said...

Wow..So cute!! Love the sweet pastel colors!!!!

Unknown said...

Very Cute! I basically skipped Halloween Crafts too. I bought Fa la la la Felt so I've been working on Felt projects too. I just love the paisley embroidered wing on your little birdie! Happy Crafting!

Jessica said...

Do you use regular craft felt or wool/wool blend felt for your projects? LOVE THEM and your blog!

s as in tset said...

Love them!

Julie and Jill said...

Thank you so much for posting this beautiful and fun idea! I LOVE them and they are on my "to do" list for Christmas. You are so talented and I appreciate your sharing with us.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh wow- these are darling! Thanks so much, I'll be spreading the word.

Jen said...

So pretty and beautiful! And one can use any assortment of colours so they'll have pretty birdies for all seasons...! Thank you for sharing this, I love birds and with winter coming will soon have plenty of time to make these. :)

Missy said...

I found you through a friend and I am so glad! These are adorable. I must make these this Christmas....

Off to explore the rest of your fabulous blog!

Jocelyn said...

Awesome to see you crafting! Your pics are gorgeous as always and these birdies are really pretty.

I put out my Halloween stuff and am already sick of it. Oops.

Craftberry Bush said...

I love these little guys...I'm gonna have to make a couple...even though I don't know how to use a sewing machine, I love stiching by hand.....thanks for the awesome tutorial.....much love,
Lucy

Maria Amélia said...

Hi friend! Lovely bird. I linked your post. if you desagree, please, tell me.
mamélia

Sueli Pinheiro said...

Maravilhoso!

Amy said...

OH such darling little birdies!

Anonymous said...

Just chiming in to add more kuddos! Definitely will be a place on my tree for these adorable little birds. Thank you!

twobutterflies said...

these are adorable and they look easy - I guess it is actually time to start working on Christmas projects, isn't it.

I {heart} Nap Time said...

These are darling!! love it!

Lene said...

LOVE the birds and what a great tutorial you have made

My Kids Make said...

oh cute!! i can see these on our tree already!!

Claudia/Ompompali said...

Thank you so much for these birdies. They are soooo cute and I can see me making dozens of them! Such a pretty, quick and fun idea. Greetings from Germany

flowersandhome said...

LOVE these little birds!!! I am so going to try and make them myself!!!
Also THANK YOU for a clear explanation in your stitch guide of how to make a french knot! I hope I'll finally be able to make one now, I never ever succeeded in making one of those, it just never ends up as a knot! Hopefully I won't have to avoid stitch patterns that envolve these knotty things from now on! ;-)
Bye,
Marian

Unknown said...

i've just fell in love with these lovely birds!! so pretty!

i'm linking. i hope you'll agree.

thanks for this tutorial.


doro.

BonnieN said...

Love this! Any chance you canpost a template? My attemps so far are so bad! look nothing like yours! This is one adorable project! Thank You.

Unknown said...

Those Christmas tree ornaments are so cute! My mother would love these! I was thinking about looking around at the different lds books and boutiques to see if I could find something like that, but I think that it would be really neat to be able to make my mom something like this instead of purchasing it!

Judy said...

very nice-but oh-so-much work
but they are so lovely