3/6/09

Hat Cookies


So this is a fun idea I found somewhere - probably Family Fun (I can't remember) - and we used this for a "Hats Off" church event. You could make these cookies for a springtime party, though, or any occasion you want.

So you use those fudge stripe cookies, peanut butter cups, and colored frosting. KIDS can do this! Put a big blob of frosting on the peanut butter cup, press it down onto the cookie and let it smoosh out the sides. (smoosh is TOTALLY a word) That's your "ribbon" for the brim of the hat. Then pipe on a bow with frosting using a round cake decorating tip, and top it off with a flower blob-thing with the "star" decorating tip. Flower blobs aren't hard to do and if you were to play with the frosting on some waxed paper for a minute, you'd figure out how you want your flower to look.

You don't have to be a pro - just do enough to get by in order for your cookies to look edible! And, seriously, folks - how can you mess up a fudge cookie, peanut butter cups and FROSTING?! You just can't go wrong here.



16 comments:

Charmaine said...

These are adorable! They could also be pilgrim hats for Thanksgiving! (By the way, I've been a long time reader, but I don't think I've ever commented. Love your blog! And I'm an Arizonian also - living in Iowa right now. But I'm from the East Valley down Phoenix way. Although tons of my ancestors are from Thatcher and Safford. If your family has been there for more than 3 or 4 generations, we may even be distantly related! Too random? I know, it's a weakness.)

Sheri Howard said...

I love those hats, people are so creative! Thanks for that! I think I will save that for Thanksgiving for a party favor!

Erica said...

Love the cookies! My hubby's bday is on St. Patrick's day and those little hats remind me of leprechauns :) I just might have to try them out!

Tif Sweeney said...

LOVE these and I think it is something that I can actually do!!! I know I can find a reason to use these at some point! They are just too darn cute!!

Our Complete Family said...

Those are so F.U.N! I love them! Now, if I had to take them somewhere to serve I can tell you they likely wouldn't make it b/c I'd eat them all~ yummy!
Happy weekend hun~ Les

said...

This is awesome....I fell in love with your hats! Wonderful work...wonderful blog...keep doing what you do! =)

Krista said...

I have to bring dessert to our church ladies meeting tonight, and I think this is perfect!! I think I'll do green blobs for St. Patty's Day! Thanks for the neat idea.

missliss5/Melissa said...

Those are SO cute!!!! And you really do such a great job taking pictures of the pretty and yummy things you make.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Those are darling! You have such a cute blog!
We are going to Arizona in 3 weeks and I'm so excited. We still have three feet of snow here so I'm looking forward to being warm!

randi said...

So cute and creative! I am going to mark this and come back to it. My daughter will think these are super fun!

Paula & Skip said...

There are so cute, really wannna try those. Greetings from Florida

Vicki said...

Thank you for sharing these adorable treats! I tried my hand at them for St. Patrick's Day. Yours are cuter - I need more practice with piping and a smaller tip. But, I had so much fun making them! I even blogged about them today! Now who is going to eat all this??? ;)

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

I love your blog header...where or where did you get it?

No Fuss Fabulous said...

I LOVE these! Such a cute idea!

the decorated cookie said...

What a clever idea! I posted a link on my edible crafts column (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com). Hope it brings a few more clicks your way! thanks for sharing, Meaghan

Jamie said...

FYI, if you make them with a hershey's kiss, they look like a witch's hat - perfect for Halloween!